AMES, Iowa – Registration is now open for the 2019 Everson Global Seed Symposium at Iowa State University, October 14-15, 2019. The symposium, held in conjunction with the World Food Prize in Des Moines, will feature some of the brightest minds in seed business, technology, science and art. This Symposium is designed to engage and inspire seed professionals, policy makers, educators and students on the beauty and value of seeds to society.
This years’ topics will be a deep dive into the subjects covered by the award-winning six-part documentary film, Seeds! Diversity of Wonder. Click here to view the film trailer.
The film, commissioned by the ISU Seed Science Center, takes viewers to locales in India and Africa as well as the ISU campus, the World Food Prize in Des Moines, local Iowa farms, and Colorado. It covers a range of seed-related topics, including the role seeds play in everyday life, how seed technology can lead to more nutritious food, and how the genetic material contained in seeds is stored in a global network of seed banks. Many of the Symposium speakers (listed below) are either featured in the film or are closely related to the topics. The Symposium will wrap up with a look at current and future seed innovations.
More information about the speakers and registration can be found at seeds.iastate.edu.
The symposium is sponsored by a generous contribution from the family of Leroy Everson, former director of the Seed Laboratory at the Iowa State Seed Science Center.
October 13: Pre-session
Organized in conjunction with Iowa State University Lecture Series. Seeds! Diversity of Wonder film viewing and lecture with award-winning author and biologist Thor Hanson
Open to students, faculty and staff, and the public - 6pm, Pioneer Room, Memorial Union
October 14 (Morning Sessions):
A Day Without Seeds:
- Thor Hanson – Award-Winning Author and Biologist
Let Seed Be Thy Medicine:
- Howdy Bouis – 2016 World Food Prize Laureate, Founder of HarvestPlus
October 14 (Lunch Session):
The Seed Artist:
- Robert Llewellyn – Photographer & Author of Seeing Seeds: A journey into the world of seed heads, pods, and fruit.
- Walker Lambert – Film Producer, Pierce Mill Media
October 14 (Afternoon Sessions):
The Seed Pioneers, The Next Generation:
- Julie Borlaug - Inari
- Sarada Krishnan – Center for Global Initiatives at Denver Botanic Gardens
- Maaike Groot – East West Seed
The Seed Bank:
- Candy Gardner – ISU Plant Introduction Station
- Philip Kauth – Seed Savers Exchange
October 14 (Evening Sessions organized by Iowa State University Lectures Program):
- 2019 Norman Borlaug Lecture with World Food Prize Laureate Simon Groot
Great Hall, Memorial Union, 8pm.
- Student poster display in Memorial Union South Ballroom, 7-8pm.
October 15 (Morning Session):
The Seeds of India:
- Jitendra Srivastava – Seed Systems Advisor, World Bank, Retired
Closing Session: Seed Innovations
- Jack Bobo – CEO, Futurity